Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

CaptainCatNebula

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Reactions
Thread starter #1
I suggest adding a mod called Mo' Creatures to Towny.

So I know Towny recently reset, but this suggestion COULD be implemented in the future. I've been thinking about what could keep Towny interesting for a long time because right now, there aren't a lot of players that keep playing for a long time without getting bored/feel like they've achieved everything there is to achieve.

So this is how the story usually goes; you make a town, invite players to your town, build your town, expand, make grinders, farms, player shops and so on...
but then what?

I discovered this mod way back when 1.7.10 was new, I found a towny server that had Mo' creatures. To run this mod you need to install forge and add custom mob spawners and Mo' Creatures to your mods folder.(all in the same version) The server revolved around the MoCreatures Mod. It didn't have a "large" player base, but a very dedicated one.

" The Mo' Creatures mod adds a variety of over 50 new mobs to Minecraft. The mod focuses on allowing the player to interact with and tame new creatures. Each mob in Mo' Creatures is either passive, neutral or hostile, and some have advanced AI, which of course depends on the player's presence.

Some activities in the mod include fighting hostile mobs, crafting new blocks and tools by gathering various resources found in the mod, taming mobs and being able to ride them, equipping them with chests and armor, and providing many useful ways of transportation throughout the Minecraft world."

- Overview from Mo' Creatures wiki

There's SO much to do with this mod. Tame mobs, breeding mobs, "creating" certain mobs with mod mobs and vanilla mobs and items etc.
New craftable items including armor, tools+++ New blocks to gather, new mob drops to gather.
A whole wikipage is dedicated to the mod and all it's contents.
(point being there's no lack of information about this mod on the internet but it might take some time and dedication to learn)

The mod is currently available in 1.12.2, so you could technically already now try it out in single player if you'd want, then leave some comments about what you think about the mod here on the post and how you'd feel about it being added to Towny. Below are a few pictures found on google showing only a few things from the mod.

3c6f504b28dfd4e3e634ef860468011e.png
43d0a634486c259628e75284c114f851.jpg
u3PUFQr.png
500px-Fully_geared_mammoth.png
mo-creatures-mod-1-11-21-10-2-for-minecraft.jpg

I believe this mod would bring players closer together, encourage more trading, player shops,
exploration, farming, playtime, building, taming and breeding.
I don't think this should require more staffing for towny than usual if players are properly and clearly directed towards the information that the internet contains, such as
the Mo' Creatures wiki, youtube videos and other sources.
A post on the forums could be dedicated to informing players of these things, as well as automessages in game.

Some more ideas to increase the longevity of a active and lively towny server : The ability to mine spawners with silk touch could be removed, so that players would have to work harder for basically everything, and it would give players without a rank a chance too.( kits might need to be adjusted)
Jobs would be kept, as well as Mcmmo, flying removed world wide and make it ONLY town claim based instead and a server shop could be added.

This post is open for more suggestions and ideas!

(some links may be added after I ask staff if it's ok to add links)

Last edited:
Reactions
First of all, the ability to mine spawners with silk touch is not rank based so ranks are not necessarily that op and the only thing the kits give that could be a little bit op is the ability to have unb IV on diamond gear. Flying is nice to have world wide and towny is also about the building as well as grinding so flying being allowed is a nice happy medium. I would like to have that in. Having a mod needed to play towny would likely reduce the player base further more. This is due to the fact that people would actually NEED to have the mod for it to work and most people who are active would log on and wonder why nothing is working properly. Adding so many new mobs also defeats the point of towny. It is indeed meant to be somewhat of an smp esque experience so that everything is fun with friends type stuff. A server shop also defeats the whole point of it being an smp environment. To increase the longevity perhaps add spawners to crates and other special items. Also towny is in 1.13 so the idea of a 1.12.2 mod would be annoying as a lot of hard work was put building stuff that require 1.13 to function.

CaptainCatNebula

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Reactions
Thread starter #3
Flying is nice to have world wide and towny is also about the building as well as grinding so flying being allowed is a nice happy medium.
Sure flying is nice, but do you know how many blaze spawners I found the first 2 days? Probably like 50 of them. That is too OP in my opinion.
Towny is not supposed to be easy, you're supposed to work for stuff.
Flying should only be possible in town claims.

I saw people on baltop be having over 1 million on the first day and that's honestly a no-no..

Having a mod needed to play towny would likely reduce the player base further more. This is due to the fact that people would actually NEED to have the mod for it to work and most people who are active would log on and wonder why nothing is working properly
A reset would be required for the mod to be added, and no one would be able to join without having the mod.
It's not hard to inform people of how to install a mod and have them do it for them to play towny.

Adding so many new mobs also defeats the point of towny. It is indeed meant to be somewhat of an smp esque experience so that everything is fun with friends type stuff.
I don't agree with you here. It's Towny, not survival. More mobs and features are GREAT ways to expand your town and the way you play towny.
I would see more interaction between players because of this mod and more to work for.

The reason a game mode dies quickly is because you have nothing left to do. That will happen if the game is too easy.
When I suggested fly be added to town claims I didn't expect them to add it worldwide at all.
I only wanted it in town claims just to have a better building experience.

I really wish they made towny harder than it is right now.

Removing the feature to mine spawners with silk touch would make everyone work harder for XP, using the spawners they find in the wild
and not have an almost unlimited source of XP and loot.

Please Nerf Towny

Reactions
Nerfing Towny takes all the fun out of it because it's also about the community experience. The reason people have a mil is because the buy like a 100 emperor keys and open them and get a million. New people who join momento who want to play towny are still going to have to install the mod. That means each and every player, some very young with no knowledge on how to download stuff will have to do that. I'd honestly say roughly 3/4 of the people will be like "too much work
and not do it at all. Towny is supposed to be survival, but easy survival as you still have to BUILD a town. Building a town is a lot of work as is made easier with the fly everywhere feature. Towny is about building towns and an "OP Survival" gameplay style is what makes it fun. You say "nothing to do" but that's a lie. There are so many more farms people can build, and you can keep on expanding the town. So what if a person found 50 blaze spawners on the first day. That's how value works. You get 50, you sell for less. Then, they start getting rare and the value goes up. Its just like real life. Towny survival isn't supposed to be hard. Adding a mod would just make it more annoying for people to play it. You don't see a 100 people playing on modded servers do you? "Unlimited XP" is not true as the sheer amount of xp is needed when it comes to using the custom enchant plugins. Like hell, in skyblock they have mob stacking and stuff which allows for even MORE insane amounts of XP. Without access to spawners XP and custom enchants would cross the line of rarity which makes people just give up. Easy for everyone is the point, its not meant to be a "grindy" game mode. Grinding isn't fun. Adding a mod adding more creatures isn't gonna help anything. If anything add more content, like different types of items using custom plugins and texture packs. But don't make it so that you have to install a mod to get more content for towny. That will COMPLETELY reduce the player base. Oh, I'm bored with some skyblock, lemme hop on to towny. Oh wait, I have to relaunch my whole game to load the mod. You know what, I guess not, lemme go to prison. That's how people will think.

CaptainCatNebula

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Reactions
Thread starter #5
But don't make it so that you have to install a mod to get more content for towny. That will COMPLETELY reduce the player base.
I don't think so. Not if everyone is properly directed to the mods and how to install them.
I would personally create the guide.

Towny is about building towns and an "OP Survival" gameplay style is what makes it fun
I don't agree. Making it too OP is what made me stop playing towny..
Oh wait, I have to relaunch my whole game to load the mod. You know what, I guess not, lemme go to prison. That's how people will think.
You won't need to relaunch.

Reactions
You need to relaunch to activate the mods as you can't go into random game modes with the mod can you?

fergydanny

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Reactions
This isn't going to happen. Thanks for making a suggestion tho