IP Copied!
Click to Copy IP

Momento's future

fergydanny

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Hey guys, don't be frightened by the title, this is not a goodbye but rather an explanation of why the servers in the state its in and whats in store for the future. Buckle up, this might be a long one.

First off, I want to explain a bit about the history of the server. The server started in May 2014 after many failed attempts at starting servers. I've had temporary success with the prior servers but none had survived past a week or two except Momento. I went from a player to a staff member on another server to running my own.

Before Momento, I've made MANY attempts at making a server, some more successful than others but none that stuck. Here is a list I found of some of those servers:

Honestly Momento was probably one of my last attempts and honestly everyone I knew IRL was tired of my shit and had no faith in me. Regardless of the naysayers, I persevered and it took off. It was launched in the prime of op prison, the gamemode was very popular and there were few good servers to play it and thats when MomentoPrison was born. The server was averaging 100-200 players with 0 ads for years. We were known in the op prison space and were doing very well.

Then came the day where skyblock started taking over, we adapted and released our skyblock which did alright, and then factions which didn't do too good. Honestly looking back, I probably diluted the server too much by just adding new gamemodes, should of probably kept it prison and skyblock only.

A few years later, I bought a creative server called skelacraft that had a playerbase of ~40 players and added it to momento as MomentoCreative. I also eventually bought a pixelmon server called PokeSmash that had a playerbase of like ~30 but I just kept that one seperate.

Then skyblock really took off and became the #1 gamemode in minecraft for the last few years straight and probably still is king. With skyblock came what some people would call a weird phase where we had partnered with a dutch content creator, DutchTerms. Funny story is that me and Vincent met because someone was trying to scam both of us at the same time. They were pretending to represend Momento while offering a deal to TDT (DutchTerms) while pretending to be his manager to me and offering some advertisements. I then decided to contact TDT directly and we found out we were both being lied to.

Vincent (TDT) was a really cool guy and we spoke a bit and decided that while the network was fully english at the time, it would be nice to give a partnership a shot and build some features to allow us to split up these different communities but allow them to play together. The partnership was a success for years and the server had even peaked at 1100 players in I believe summer 2016. I know some people didn't appreciate this partnership but I sure did. I am thankful for the nice dutch people I have met and for the nice and respectful partnership me and Vincent have had.

All of that to say that the game has been my life for a long time (literally 1/3rd of my life). It may seem like I'm less interested nowadays or that I don't care about the server but that's not true, I just lost the undying passion I had at the start. That doesn't mean that I don't love the server or that I'm going to stop pushing and working to make the server enjoyable for all. I don't hate running a server, I just dont live and breathe it as much as I did 2-3 years ago.

This community will always be apart of me, even long after the server is gone. I understand some of you have already left and or are leaving and thats fine, like I said, its been almost 7 years. Its normal. I could never have guessed that the server would last so long, it has exceeded all my expectations and has been a blessing.

Making and running this server has pushed me to learn so many skills, two in particular which have made me valuable in other fields on the internet and have given me the opportunity to keep on working on the server and myself on my own terms. Yeah, I can't work on it full-time anymore but that doesn't mean I won't work on it when I can and continue to support its community.

One of those skills is system administration which I've been offering as a service to other servers ranging from small lesser known ones to the top 10-20 and the other is Java development/programming which I've recently been doing profesionally for another server. I know the word has gotten out and I don't mind, I wasn't trying to hide it. I've had to move on from doing Momento full time for both financial and personal reasons but the server is still sustainable and should not be going anywhere for a good while.

So I would like to take a moment to thank anyone whos ever played Momento, everyone whos supported it throughout the years and continue to support it. I hope I've made a positive impact on your life because you have on mine <3 And to all of those who have moved on, there are no hard feelings.

That being said, now that I've given you guys an explanation on whats happened and how the server started, I want to talk about the future. I will still be actively updating the server, it may not be as often as you and I would like but it will happen. I will keep striving to provide you guys with solid updates to keep the game fun. Here are a few things that are lined up:
  • Global pardon: All in-game punishments will be wiped to give our old players, no matter how severe the infraction, a new chance. For many its been years and its likely they've matured and should be given a second chance.
  • Skyblock and prison resets will be released the 18th at 3pm EST. These will be minor, skyblock goes back to spawner eco as that was clearly more popular/fun for people. These resets will start off minor to bring the servers back some players but will be actively worked on as seasons are now long term again. Meaning they happen when they are due/needed instead of at set dates.
  • COMING SOON: Chats will be global, meaning people on skyblock will be able to see prison players messages and vice versa with all languages merged by default, you will be able to ignore incoming mesages from a language channel if you desire.
  • COMING SOON: Rules will be made less severe so that less people get punished and possibly lose interest. Of course we're still keeping the important rules.
  • The alt limit will be removed. We will just have to ensure that crucial things like keyalls are given once per ip.
  • Multiple daily automated events (mainly keyalls to start)
  • COMING SOON: A new voting system where everyone who votes in a day will be entered into a raffle for a daily coupon. For example, if you vote 5 times than you have 5 entries in the pot and the winner will be automatically chosen and rewarded with a 10$ coupon every day. Voting is a crucial part of a server and is how we keep growing/gain new players.

The "COMING SOON" points will be worked on to be released the earliest I can and the stuff not marked as coming soon will come out in the following few days.

Thanks for reading, I know this was long and probably not fully coherent because I haven't written an essay in years. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited:

MaketBoss

Okay Zombie killer (aka Pancakes096) love the changes, the season one especially!

NoobyChicken

I've actually logged in to respond to this thread. I haven't kept up with the game recently but it does look like it has declined a little bit since I last played which is sad because I've been here since day one and I have watched Momento grow into a massive community where we all knew each other and in some shape or form.

People grow up and move on which is the sad thing but I have every faith in this server and you Danny you've always delivered upon your promises and made the game enjoyable for your community. Keep listening to your community like you have for so many years and without a doubt the server will be back on top in no time. Thank you for all of your hard work and continued dedication it does not go unnoticed. <3

richard485

New changes/ additions seem interesting and exciting. Can’t wait to be part of the community once again.
I’m glad you’ve never gave up on Momento, it shows you have passion in this subject and it’s nice that you were able to turn it into a career. Thank you for creating a unique community.
Want to congratulate Danny and Momento on approaching seven years and cheers to many more.

Florisz

I discovered I have been unbanned and I appreciate it alot, although I still can’t join the discord because I’m still banned. I might log on for a bit later. My dc is FVA#8242 if there’s any chance you’ll unban me.

ItzMilano

I discovered I have been unbanned and I appreciate it alot, although I still can’t join the discord because I’m still banned. I might log on for a bit later. My dc is FVA#8242 if there’s any chance you’ll unban me.
All punishments has been cleared, however Danny is not willing to unban people from the discord. As he mentioned in general this week.

NemoTheNemo

Formerly known as Skylar__
Thank you Danny for keeping this server up and running. This server molded my early teen years and I will be forever thankful for that. I just finished my first semester of college and looking forward to catching up with the community again. Apologies for our past, I still feel guilty for what I did 4 or 5 years ago. I've grown a lot from that and I'm thankful you taught me that lesson.
- Aria

fergydanny

Owner
Staff member
Owner
All punishments has been cleared, however Danny is not willing to unban people from the discord. As he mentioned in general this week.
I've been unbanning most on dc as long as it wasnt too bad

fergydanny

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Thank you Danny for keeping this server up and running. This server molded my early teen years and I will be forever thankful for that. I just finished my first semester of college and looking forward to catching up with the community again. Apologies for our past, I still feel guilty for what I did 4 or 5 years ago. I've grown a lot from that and I'm thankful you taught me that lesson.
- Aria
Dont feel guilty, I don't even remember what happened. Welcome back and thanks for the kind words

xPhalanxed_

Damn bro, I just logged in and saw this. You have done a lot to keep Momento up to where it is now. Moreover, those staff nights were fun too. Keep it going, man!

YouAreSlainByMe

Damn, still appreciate that you try to run this server. I have so many great memories from this server. I even speak to most of my online friends who I met on your server. The good old days with two prison servers, prestiges up to level 50, autosell, flying above your plotmine and resetting it constantly. ow man this was great. Thanks for clearing all the punishments and hopefully more peopel will join.

Maartxo

I hope I'm not too late to respond.

I just wanna say thank you Danny for creating the server and playing a big role in my childhood. Playing almost every single day, becoming staff, meeting new friends. Thank you for all of this. I am very curious as to what the server will become in the future and I am very happy to be a part of this community. Keep up the good work! :)

IronWalrus

Mod
Staff member
Mod
Late to the party, but I appreciate all the work you’ve put in Danny. I know being one of the first players on Momento, I’ve seen the good and the bad. It definitely holds a place in my heart (and wallet). Hoping for another 6 years of success!

TotallyNotMarco

Formerly known as MarcotheKiller45
Been here since V2-3, this server was my childhood, its been a hell of a fun ride, wish you all the best in (redacted)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shopz

This server has been a huge part of my childhood. Being a full on adult now, looking back this server really shaped who I am today. I really appreciate Danny and all of the friends I’ve made along the way. I hope to see the server bounce back to the state it was in years ago, but I know those v1 prison days are just a memory now. I’ll try to find some old screenshots for nostalgia, but I’m sure my .minecraft folder is long gone. I love you all, and I’ll try to find a time here soon to hop on and reminisce. <3

xConway_

Formerly known as dadway
I never thought when I was scrolling through server lists nearly 6 years ago that I would've been a member of this server for this long, but I'm so grateful I came across this server and will never forget some of the people I met, the memories I made, and just how a minecraft server helped shape me into the person I am today. I appreciate you for working as hard as you did on this server Danny, because it's been a place I could never get away from ever since I joined. Keep it up dude.