Click to Copy IP
  • Join our Discord
  • Guide Towny Explained/Starter Guide V3

Liezexo

Helper
    Staff member
    Helper
    **UPDATED TO TOWNY V3 FOR THE MOST PART**
    Why did I make this guide? Well, not too many people are familiar with how towny works and with the reset coming up many people still have questions, including me and I felt like digging in, doing some research and answering them.

HOW DOES ONE PLAY TOWNY?
    Fasten your seatbelts because this is going to be a long one, bear with me.
    Once you log onto Towny, you have something you should do straight off the bat (in my opinion at least):

• Go vote, the amount of stuff you get from keys is unbelievable, it will surely help you get started, normally you spawn with a kit (All Unbreaking I items). Additionally you can get Rank Kits (*one-time only*) from the crates. However, for other kits to be available you need to purchase a rank in the store with /buy.
    Once you've done that I recommend you read through this guide, I’m going to cover a few topics and some of you might not want to read all of it. So, feel free to scroll over the titles and skip to the parts you need to know more about.

THE SPAWN
    Before you move on to reading this bible, I'd like to point out some helpful additions found at the Spawn itself. Like the the crates, otherwise accessible through /warp crates, here you can use the keys collected from either vote parties / voting / purchasing (/buy).
    Last but not least came the addition of the "/worlds" command, here you can teleport to random coordinates in the following worlds: Build world, The Nether, The End and Resource World.
    The Resource world speaks for itself: it is used to gather resources, to prevent the Build world from running out of resources. Additionally this world will be reset every now and then to provide us with a fresh set. This will most likely be where you spend most of your time at the beginning, to gather resources to be able to build your town.
    On the other hand, the build world is used from claiming land, this is where you will create your town, since this will be the only world that doesn't reset (on a somewhat --hopefully-- monthly basis). In this world you can only break/build things once you've claimed land/created your town.

THE HIERARCHY
    Nomads: Nomads are simply players who are not part of any town, they are landless.

Residents: Every player that joins the server is considered a resident, they can join towns or choose to start one of their own. Residents even have their own command: /resident (/res for short)

Towns: A town is a collection of residents (or just one) with one resident as the mayor (by default the one who created the town).
    A town also has a bank which the mayor can withdraw from in case needed. A mayor can also have assistants who have the same powers as him/herself. Towns can have taxes that will be taken at the end of each day interval (will explain that later).
    Towns usually grow outwards from their home block, the townblock (the block the mayor stood on during the town creation). Townblocks need to be claimed besides other townblocks unless the mayor claims an outpost in the wilderness.

Sheriff: Can put town residents in an assigned town jail (more info at Jail Plots)

Helper: Can set any plot type and can toggle Mob spawning on/off in the town.

Assistant: Can do somewhat everything the mayor can do, except unclaim land or choose who is the mayor of said town.

Mayors: Mayors run towns, with the help of their assistants they manage the town and its residents. They can decide which ranks their residents fall into, in their town.
    In our case, the available ranks are: Assistant, Helper and Sheriff (described above)

Outlaws: Outlaws can be any player and do not have to be in a town or nation. If the newly-cast outlaw is a member of your town they will be kicked. Towns that have themselves set to Open-status (anyone can join using the ‘/town join’ command,) can use the outlaw list to prevent these players from joining their town freely with the command: ‘/town outlaw [add/remove] [name]. Players that try to enter a town where they are considered to be an outlaw will see a warning-title-message informing them.
    If a player is online and they are made into an Outlaw, they will see a message in chat.
    Normally outlaws can be jailed when they’re killed inside the town in which they are considered an outlaw, but I’m not entirely sure how the jail-thingy works (figuring it out though).

Nations: A nation is a collection of towns (or just one town) with one town as the capital. The mayor of that capital is the king. A nation can join the war event, as well as ally other nations. A nation also has its own bank. It can also tax the towns that belong to it. Two nations can decide to join in an alliance, which allows them to be protected from friendly fire, help on each other’s plots (if the plot’s perm line allows allies,) and to help each other in war.

Kings: Kings lead Nations and are the mayor of the capital city. Kings can decide which ranks their residents fall into, in their nation. This can be a Nation Assistant or a Nation Helper. Players are ranked with the use of the following command: /nation rank add [player] [rank name], a player can have more than one rank assigned.
    CREATING A TOWN
    To create a town, you'll need at least 5,000$.
    Once you have the money, make sure you're in the build world by doing /worlds and selecting "Build, you can then do /t new [town-name] and you have a town, although, keep in mind that your town has a daily upkeep which is quite a bit, you can add money to the town bank by doing /t deposit [amount] otherwise your town will be disbanded. Of course, the town upkeep depends on the number of residents you have, read about Taxes&Upkeep later on.

JOINING A TOWN
    How do you join a town? Well, there are 2 ways to join:

1. You either get an invite from the town Mayor/assistant
    2. Join an open town (/t join [town-name])

See open towns in '/town list'
    Mayors can set their towns to open with "/t toggle open"
    When residents join towns, they increase the number of townblocks accessible to the mayor for claiming.

CREATING A NATION
    It's the same concept as creating a town, simply a nation.
    To create one you'll need 25,000$, the upkeep of a nation is dependent on the number of towns in the nation, although I believe it's around 1000$.

Same as the towns, you'll need to deposit some money in the Nation bank with "/n deposit [amount]" to keep it running, otherwise it'll be disbanded.

JOINING A NATION
    Joining a nation can only be done through invite of either the Nation Assistant or King (the Mayor of the capital). You can invite towns to your nation with /n add [town-name].
    Taxes can be set for these towns, read @Taxes&Upkeep.

Last edited:

Liezexo

Helper
    Staff member
    Helper
    PLOT SYSTEM OF LAND OWNERSHIP
    TOWN BLOCKS
    Block protection is broken down into plots of land, called townblocks, which by default are 16x16x256 (a chunk), viewable with F3+G. Townblocks are claimed by town mayors who can then sell/give individual plots to their town’s residents. Also, for every resident in your town, you now get 8 townblocks. You can also purchase more townblocks for 2,500$ per with "/t buy bonus [amount].

PLOT TYPES
    · Default Plots: These plots do not need to be assigned.
    They are put up for sale with /plot forsale [$$].
    A plot which is not of default type can be reset to a default plot with /plot set reset.

· Shop Plots: Shop plots are assigned with /plot set shop
    A mayor can use /town set shopprice [$$] to set how much shop plots are sold at by default. This can be overridden when a mayor puts the actual plot up for sale with /plot forsale [$$].
    A mayor can also charge an additional shop tax with /town set shoptax [$$] (charged in addition to the normal plottax).

· Arena Plots: assigned with /plot set arena.
    Since V3 PVP has been enabled, but you can toggle it for yourself with the /pvp command. However now you are able to do /plot toggle pvp and make arena's that way, where you could possibly hold your own contests, etc.

· Embassy Plots: assigned with /plot set embassy
    A mayor can use /town set embassyprice [$$] to set how much embassy plots are sold at by default. This can be overridden by /plot forsale [$$].
    A mayor can also charge an additional embassytax with /town set embassytax [$$] (charged in addition to the normal plottax).
    An embassy plot can be bought by any player, whether they are in a town or not. The townblock remains owned by the host-town and a mayor from the host-town can take the plot from the owner at any time.

· Wilds Plots: assigned with /plot set wilds
    A wilds plot allows residents to destroy the blocks found on the wild ignore ID list. This includes ores, trees, flowers, mushrooms and other harvest-able blocks by default. It does not include stone, dirt, grass and other terrain blocks.
    It is useful for creating tree farms, and protecting the terrain around a town, while still allowing residents to cut trees and explore caves.

· Inn Plots: Inn plots are assigned with /plot set inn
    An Inn plot allows anyone to use a bed to set their ‘/res spawn’ and spawn on death. The Inn plot will still deny a player who is in a nation declared as an enemy by your nation.

· Jail Plots: Jail plots are assigned with /plot set jail, followed by /t set jail (set this where you want the player to spawn when sent to jail with /t toggle jail [number] [resident]). However, you can only jail town residents, not people who aren't a part of your town, more about that later.

· Farm Plots: Farm plots are assigned with /plot set farm.
    A Farm plot allows players to only build/destroy some blocks.
    Who can build/destroy these blocks? That is still determined by the plot’s perm line seen in the '/plot perm' screen. This means that if B = Rao, anyone can plant/place the allowed blocks in the plot. However, if B = r– then only town residents can plant/place the allowed blocks.

OUTPOSTS
    To claim a townblock out in the wilderness (not connected to your original town), a mayor/assistant must claim an outpost. However, you need a certain amount of money in your town bank's deposit to be able to claim an outpost, which is, I believe the same as claiming a new chunk: 5,000$
    The outpost list can be viewed by using '/town outpost list'.
    They cannot be claimed too close to other home blocks. By default, an outpost cannot be claimed within 5 townblocks of any other home block.
    Outposts can be teleported to, mayors set the spawn point of the outpost when they claim it or using ‘/town set outpost’. Players teleport to the outpost using ‘/town outpost x’ (‘x’ being the number of the outpost, however many there may be).

SELLING LAND
    The land is sold by Mayors to Residents that are a part of their town.
    Mayors have a command used in-game to set the cost of all the plots that are set for sale hence-forth: /town set plotprice [$] This sets the cost of newly-set-for-sale plots, already set-for-sale plots keep their costs. If it is not set, the plots will cost $0 by default.
    To put a plot up for sale a mayor, while standing in the plot, types /plot forsale [optional cost]. The resident would then type /plot claim while standing in the plot to buy it.

USING MAPS
    The map in towny displays the grid system of plots. You can set the map to show every time you move from one block to another:
    Use ‘/res set mode map’ or "/res toggle map" to turn it on.
    And use ‘/res set mode reset’ to turn it off, or toggle it again.

PROTECTION
    TOWNY PLOT PERMS
    There are some permission-type values, which can be set for personal plots and for town plots as well. The basic command for this is either ‘/resident set perm’ or ‘/town set perm’ followed by the proper flags for each permission.
    To view a plots perm type ‘/plot perm’ and to set a plots’ perms use ‘/plot set perm’.
    The default perms are seen by typing either ‘/resident’ for personal plot perms or by typing ‘/town’ for town perms.

TOWN "PROTECTION"
    As of recently, you can "disband/exile" players from your town. Since the jailing system only works for residents, we implemented /townban [player]. This prevents said player from entering the area your town is claimed in, as well as not being able to tp into it.

Last edited:

Liezexo

Helper
    Staff member
    Helper
    MONEY
    ECONOMY
    With the new towny version comes a remade economy, there's no longer a player market, yet there are new additions such as being able to purchase stocks and having access to /shop. We'll go further into detail along the line.

TAXES AND THEIR UPKEEP
    Taxes and Upkeep are charged at the same time, each ‘Towny Day’. The time of a ‘Towny Day’ by default is 24 real-life hours.

Also, to check the cost of everything for your town, simply type /t or /town and it will show how much the upkeep, etc. is for your town.

Taxes
    Taxes are collected on the town-level from residents and on the nation-level from towns.

Any player can check the taxes which apply to them with the in-game command /res tax

Town mayors can use two commands to set their tax rates.
    1. /town set taxes [$$]
    This can be either a flat rate (e.g.: 10) or a percentage.
    Toggling taxes from flatrate to percentage is done by doing “/town toggle taxpercent”
    o Flatrate:
    This charges each resident of a town the same amount, setting it to 10 would charge each resident each ‘Towny Day’.
    o Percentage:
    This charges a player a percentage of their money. If a player has no money left, he pays no taxes and is not kicked from the town.

2. /town set plottax [$$]
    o This charges each resident of a town for each plot they own, setting it to 10 would charge Daniel 400 dollars if he owned 40 plots, damnnnnn Daniel, back at it again with the plots (sorry, just had to).
    o If a resident can’t pay their plottax they lose their plot.

Nation leaders can use one command to set a tax on the towns in their nation.
    /nation set taxes [$]
    o This charges each town that is a member of the nation. Setting it to 100 would charge each town’s townbank 100 each ‘Towny Day’.
    o If a town can’t pay its tax, then it is kicked from the nation.

Upkeep
    Upkeep collection can be set in towns and nations separately. Upkeep money is taken from townbanks and nationbanks every ‘Towny Day’ and removed from the game.

Price for the upkeep of a nation: +-1,000$
    o The server’s daily charge on each nation. If a nation fails to pay this upkeep, all of its member-towns are kicked, and the Nation gets removed.

Price for the upkeep of a town: 250$/chunk claimed
    o The server’s daily charge on each town. If a town fails to pay this upkeep, all of its residents are kicked, and the town gets removed. In addition to that, the amount of residents you have increases the upkeep.

SELL SHOP
    With V3 comes the ability to use /shop, the newly found place to both buy and sell a limited amount of items. These items are harvest-able in the resource/end/nether world(s) or in your own claimed chunks.

/shop
    o Once executed you will be presented with 3 options: "Farmables", "Mob Drops" and "Blocks".
    Notice that you cannot buy every item in there, of course there are restrictions.

This is simply a way to get some profit at the start of your journey. Once player shops work their way into the economy, that'll most likely be your greatest income.

STOCKS
    Here comes yet another newcomer: the new stock plugin, which you can navigate with /stocks.

/stocks popular
    o This will show you the stocks which are available for purchasing.
    o You can click said shares and purchase your desired amount.

/stocks buy [symbol] [shares]
    o With this command you are able to buy the stocks, similar to the one above, only without a GUI: e.g. /stocks buy TSLA 10 -- of course you'll need to know the names of the stocks, which can be found in the above command.

/stocks portfolio [player]
    o This allows you to check both your and other players' portfolios to see which and how many shares they have.

TOWN AND NATION BANKS
    Towns and Nations both have banks, to which any resident can deposit money but only town mayors and nation kings (+ assistants) can withdraw from.

Any money collected via taxes is deposited in the nation/town bank. When a town needs money, to claim a townblock or an outpost, it is taken from the townbank.

SOoooooOOOo, that’s about it for the guide, I know it’s a long one, sorry ‘bout that, but I could’ve gone on for a while honestly. Also, kudos to you if you actually read everything, love u x
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them below and I will try to answer them.
    For more in-depth command explanations click here.

Also props to Kari for helping me with some of these things.
    xo Lieze

Last edited:

KariKittyx

Admin
    Staff member
    Admin
    I'm so very impressed. When you told me you were writing this... I could not have imagined something so in depth and amazing! This is going to help so many people after the reset and can help players who already play learn more. Honestly, this is amazing.

Expired_420

Formerly known as _Impression_
    Wow, you actually wrote an article! In any case, reading through this I actually learned a couple of new things since I'm a newbie to this whole towny game mode. This thread is extremely useful and should get pinned, it will without a doubt help a lot of new players!

ItsMattyy

Daaaaaang...Lieze this is good. Nice work dudet. I like how you actually seemed to put time into this, good one. :)

DensityChild

Wow really helpful guide, I came into the guide expecting to know everything but I actually learned a few things from this guide! Thank you so much for making it and I hope it helps new players!

ItzBoo

I honestly didn’t know too much about towny because I don’t play it much and this was really informative!
    Thank you :)

Last edited:
    Thank you for the guide! It is really helpful and will help me for next version.

Wow, I was just thinking that maybe I should make a towny guide, and then I found this. I seriously doubt I could write anything to improve this, great job Lieze!

D

Deleted member 4481

Oh wow Lieze this is amazing I’m going to use this like until i either get banned for char spam (annoying keyboard :() or leave the server. This is great thanks for making it

Liezexo

Helper
    Staff member
    Helper
    Updated to Towny V3 -- for the most part. Hope it helps, if there's anything I missed, let met know and I'll try to keep this up to date.

This helped a lot! Hats off to you for writing this out, it's super useful and benefits all who read it!