• IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
  • Join our Discord
  • Towny What we NEED and WANT - Towny Reset , with some suggestions

GalaxyKal

Right now I think a lot of people can agree that Towny needs a reset, some might not agree with this because they commonly know Towny as a gamemode that doesn't really reset that often or at all, but a reset is very much needed because of several reasons, but MAINLY because it's quite broken at the moment. ( Post made about this here; https://momentonetwork.net/threads/towny-needs-some-fixin.14046/ )
    One thing that wasn't mentioned is that Town tax is broken, that also needs to be fixed!

I have some ideas/suggestions and opinions that I'll list below!

Town Leveling System
    This idea was influenced by a few topics that were brought up in a Discord call I was in, possibly quests(like on skyblock) being added to towny, so here is the basic idea that can be modified(I'm including some examples of how to do things because this would need to be a custom coded);​
    It's similar to prestiging, as seen on prison currently and skyblock in the past, where you need to fulfill certain terms to be able to prestige, or in this case it's based on tiers. I'm not completely sure what's a good number for how many tiers there should be, but 5 is a good start.​
    Well, how do you tier up?
    This is where the quests come in. This could be set up in a number of ways, and I have 2 examples.​
    Example 1: You complete a certain amount of tasks to be able to tier up, the tasks get harder for each time you tier up.​
    (this way, someone would have to physically tier up the town and complete tasks, such as town mayor)​
    Example 2: Your town needs a certain amount of Town XP to be able to tier up, and you gain XP by completing quests. Quests could be accessed with /t quests​
    (this way tiering up could happen automatically, in theory)​
    Who can tier up?
    This is something only the town mayor would be able to do.​
    Why would you tier up?
    There are loads of possibilities for rewards, but to provide some perspective, here are some examples;​
    TIER 1​
    -Your town will receive a tier 1 tag in chat, either a symbol or T1 that easily signifies what tier your town has reached, in front of your town name​
    -Your town will receive 10 extra land claims​
    -If a special tier crate would be added, one could receive a certain number of tier crate keys depending on the rewards of the crate, but if not, emperor crate keys and other sufficient rewards added​
    -Money into the town bank​
    TIER 2​
    -Receive a Tier 2 tag​
    -Receive 15 extra land claims​
    -Receive 2 special tier crate keys or other sufficient rewards​
    -* possible extra reward for tiering up a second time​
    TIER 3​
    -Receive a Tier 2 tag​
    -Receive 15 extra land claims​
    -Receive 2 special tier crate keys or other sufficient rewards​
    -* possible extra reward for tiering up a third time​
    -* Your town will receive the permission to set a town shop "warp" that's public to other players,​
    command examples; /t set shopspawn , others visit with /t shop <townname>​
    and so on, you get the basic idea. All this would have to be modified and fit to the towny economy, that's why I can't really include very specific details but more of a general idea.​
    (and you know, bragging rights of the tiers, hehe)​
    Spawner fee
    In Towny 2.0 having a grinder and having joined the hunter job is arguably the best way to earn money right now. For me this always felt a little too OP because once you have spawners there's literally no limit to money, and if you compare it to real life, you don't really have unlimited money. I myself would like Towny to be more realistic and honestly just harder to play, so I propose a certain fee for either breaking or placing spawners or even both. If you require money to break spawners, starting out a grinder would be harder, so you would have to start out earning money some other way. And if there is a fee added to breaking spawners, you would be more cautious about where you place your spawners and how many times you could mine them. Towns always expand and move things around! ( just throwing a random number out there, something like 15k-30k per spawner? )​
    A version change
    I'd suggest switching over to 1.12 to avoid plugin problems, UNLESS it's possible to fix said problems in 1.13 of course.​
    Removing the Mall
    The mall itself is a good idea, but it's not really practical for any part, the seller or the buyer. The mall is quite big and you would have to run all over the place just to explore some of the shops there and for the most part, I believe a lot of people don't want to take the time to do that.​
    Remove /fly anywhere
    When I suggested fly being added to town claims I didn't ever expect that fly anywhere would be added. In my mind, the whole point of fly in town claims was just to be able to build things having the ability to see things from different perspectives easier but with /fly anywhere it's so OP. New players or players who simply can't buy fly anywhere really struggle finding certain resources compared to the people who do have fly. (Example: I've seen so many players complain that leather is so hard to find while it could take someone with fly under a minute to get leather) The whole point of Towny is to be able to take time to explore the world but if you can just zoom through it in 10 minutes, what's the fun in that? Writing this reminded me of something else, THE NETHER. God why... the advantage of fly... All the spawners you can find?? I can literally find 40-70 blaze spawners all by myself in 1 day with fly in the nether. I sob. Please remove it​
    ( Compensate players with a voucher or something else )​
    An Opinion I have
    Personally I think you shouldn't be able to make money from killing mobs spawned by spawners you have in a grinder.​
    Why? Too OP. Could possibly be balanced out by spawner mining/breaking fees, but if not, I think it should be removed.​

Last edited:
    First of all, I'd like to address the simple fact that Towny is currently unable to be reset. Towny needs a reset, but at the moment there is no bug-free plugin or anything as such to replace it. There is a much better version currently out for 1.14, but it is not stable enough for use. as discussed by the Staff. The issues that were talked about in my thread about Towny needing fixing were to make Towny more playable as we wait for a usable plugin and can be fixed without a reset.

Now, I will address all the points mentioned in this post and state some of my opinions, and partially fact check some of the statements.
    • Town tax is not broken. It is turned off due to a bug in the Towny Plugin which randomly took the money out of Town Banks and caused lots of Towns to lose their money deposited.
    • Town Leveling System : This idea in itself is not necessarily such a bad idea as a whole. This would add a whole new aspect to the way Towns worked in itself but would take a significant amount of work to implement, especially as most of the plugins themselves are designed by Danny and there is no plugin that would exist like this. If this were to be added, it should be taken directly to a Towny Plugin dev. However, if there was a way to make it work, I would be interested in this idea as long as it doesn't follow suit with actual prestiging in itself and stay more as a leveling up system with rewards. It should also offer greater Town Claim benefits and these should not need to be paid the money that it normally takes to claim chunks. The main problem with the key crate idea however is the idea of who gets the keys. It would simply not be fair for the mayor to get the keys as it is questionable whether they would share the rewards or how they would be distributed among people who actually completed the quests, etc.
    • Spawner Fee : The Hunter job is broken and that is a proven fact. However, reducing spawners and the difficulty in making grinders is not the solution. The best solution would have to be to lower the amount of money gained from this or take away the job completely. The idea of gathering up spawners would still be helpful and give the loot/xp that is still helpful.
    • Version Change : A change to 1.12 would not necessarily be desirable to most Towny players due to the fact that Towny is about building your town and exploring. 1.12 offers less building blocks as well as less exploration options and items. However, a switch to 1.14 is much more desirable and the fact that there is a plugin in development for 1.14 also makes this a better option.
    • Removing the mall : Now this is something I completely agree with. The Mall is completely unused by practically all players and it really just wastes people's money in terms of thinking they'd actually get people to buy stuff there. It is extremely difficult to find someone's store location and is just really unhelpful.
    • Fly Everywhere : Fly everywhere is sort of a helpful thing in terms of exploring and just making life easier. Towny is not a hardcore survival thing and with the addition of custom enchants, it allows people to become very OP. Flying everywhere is just really a helpful perk that people enjoy. The fact that people complain about being unable to find leather has nothing to do with Flying Everywhere and is something people with it face. The problem is due to botched mob spawning mechanics in the Towny Plugin itself. Now, you can find 40-70 blaze spawners in a day with Fly, but the supply runs out fast and with the fact that most players have fly really makes it a challenge to grab them fast enough.
    • An Opinion I have : I can agree with this and would be perfectly fine with this as mentioned in the Spawner Fee option.

GalaxyKal

Town tax is not broken. It is turned off due to a bug in the Towny Plugin which randomly took the money out of Town Banks and caused lots of Towns to lose their money deposited.
    Technically that’s broken, I just didn’t go into detail about how! ☺️
    Town Leveling System
    I agree with basically everything you said here. I know giving the reward to only the town mayor is a little sketch but they definitely can’t be given to all the town members when some towns have A LOT of members, and it could be abused easily with alts, that said though, all the rewards was an example as I don’t think it’s something I should decide but rather the staff! And I totally agree with it not being like prestiging, I just used it as an example, it should be made to fit towny itself.
    I only suggest this rather than trying to keep towny on the higher versions with broken plugins if there is no other options
    I do know towny right now is not hardcore but personally I would like it to be more hardcore, one of those personal opinions I wanted to include in the post in a small attempt to try to change the server I like so much, but it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t happen.
    i wanted to suggest this as one option to nerf the OP-ness of the hunter job, but I definitely agree we could rather nerf the money you gain itself than implementing a spawner fee system.

A lot of what I wrote was up for modification because they were mostly examples to explain the general idea, I guess I could have basically written “ nerf towny” but I wanted to include more in the post!

Idk how this gon look cuz I’m on my phone rn lmao

EDIT; about the towny leveling, I do know it would be a lot of work but I still wanted to post it because it would definitely be fun! It definitely wouldn’t happen if I didn’t try so ☺️

Ok, yah I pretty much agree here with what you said. If we were to nerf towny, I personally feel that the best course of action would have to be making it completely vanilla except for town claims. This would entail no flying, etc. No spawner drops or anything as such. Kits would have armor pieces that are on vanilla limits. There is in my opinion no middle ground. You can either make it easy going or hardcore. I am honestly not going to support either side because they both have their appeals.

GalaxyKal

Ok, yah I pretty much agree here with what you said. If we were to nerf towny, I personally feel that the best course of action would have to be making it completely vanilla except for town claims. This would entail no flying, etc. No spawner drops or anything as such. Kits would have armor pieces that are on vanilla limits. There is in my opinion no middle ground. You can either make it easy going or hardcore. I am honestly not going to support either side because they both have their appeals.
    I did suggest in the past removing the ability to silk spawners but no one seemed to like that idea,, personally I don't really understand why everyone wants towny to be easy because it's survival and survival should be harder in my opinion, I really really want to like playing towny again on Momento but as it is right now I'm not really motivated to do so, just hope some of what I said could be taken into account when there's a reset(hopefully,, there is one or else I cry)